Home > Deathtalk > Topic
What was the first hardcore you listend to.
February 06, 2012 07:16AM
I was going through my collection of records and came across Touche Amore's to the beat of a dead horse... and i remember them being the first Hardcore band I had ever given a proper listen to.
I tell you what, I'm glad I did. and was wondering what other peoples were.
Such as Who were they, When and which album?

Please let me know if this thread has already been posted and I will delete this one.

+Lewis+
Re: What was the first hardcore you listend to.
February 06, 2012 05:08PM
Good question.
It was probably Fear "The Record" or a JFA record, or something related to Skate culture.
After that I quickly immersed myself in that world.

-J.

February 06, 2012 07:45PM
Post Hardcore/Screamo bands (GJ,Thrice,Thursday,Finch) where my new found love after Pop Punk, so I don't know the exact first time I got a taste hardcore, but I remember three hardcore bands/songs that changed the way I saw the genre early on.

1. American Nightmare - AM/PM. The song was on the Atticus...Dragging on the Lake compilation, and when I got to that track I remember thinking this song is the heaviest thing on here. I didn't check anything else out, which is weird for me, but Background Music became one of my favorite records a couple years later. If I have to choose this is my first real experience with hardcore, but what I was listening to at the time always had strong ties to the community.

2. Poison the Well - Nerdy. A friend played it for me when I was a freshman (I think the record had been out for three years at this point), and I didn't know what to think. I kind of liked it, but at the time still kind of too much for me......it didn't take long for Opposite of December to be on constant rotation in my cd player. I fell in love with this record/band.

3. Converge - Concubine/Fault and Fracture. By Sophomore year, I could not get enough of hardcore/aggressive music, and I was always on the look out for the next band I could get into. I picked up some comp. I don't remember the name, but I think it had Terror, and PTW's- Botchla on it. The first track was both Concubine/ Fault and Fracture. I remember walking home from school, and getting to play the record for the first time. I remember thinking this guy sounds like a monster. I was blown away. It instantly hit me. I remember showing anyone of my friends that would listen, and say "Can you believe how heavy this is?!?!" Jane Doe had been out for a little over two years by this point, but it was all new to me, and it changed the way I see music.

American Nightmare was my first real tast. PTW was the band that helped me transition, and Converge took it to a whole another level for me.

- Garrett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 07:49PM by TigerToesTwo.
February 07, 2012 11:10PM
Floorpunch-Fast times at jersey shore
Champion-Promises kept
Have Heart-The things we carry
Converge-Jane doe
Fastbreak-Dont stop trying 7"

Really, I can go on and on with great albums................

Still love these albums and many more, so glad I got the chance to listen to them. I have been into hardcore ever since and don't think there will ever be a time in my life where I wont live by it or enjoy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 11:12PM by dropout1234.
February 08, 2012 05:29PM
First hardcore I listened to was Black Flag's Damaged when I was 13. I went through a post-hardcore/deathcore phase the next two years, and then moved on to hardcore such as Converge, Touche Amore, Defeater, Unbroken, and Abandon.
February 08, 2012 05:34PM
Ahhh yes that album is a good album yeah the bands you mentioned are all really great and are the ones i mainly listen toalong with others such as shai hulud and trash talk!
February 08, 2012 10:53PM
"3. Converge - Concubine/Fault and Fracture. By Sophomore year, I could not get enough of hardcore/aggressive music, and I was always on the look out for the next band I could get into. I picked up some comp. I don't remember the name, but I think it had Terror, and PTW's- Botchla on it. The first track was both Concubine/ Fault and Fracture. I remember walking home from school, and getting to play the record for the first time. I remember thinking this guy sounds like a monster. I was blown away. It instantly hit me. I remember showing anyone of my friends that would listen, and say "Can you believe how heavy this is?!?!" Jane Doe had been out for a little over two years by this point, but it was all new to me, and it changed the way I see music."

[www.amazon.com]

I believe that's the compilation CD you're referring to. I discovered Converge through that album as well. I believe it was handed out for free at the 2003 Warped Tour, which I went to being a then huge Thrice/Thursday/Coheed and Cambria fan.
February 09, 2012 01:51AM
Yeah dude, that's the one! I don't remember exactly how I got it although I did go to that years Warped Tour. By any chance did you go to the Thrice, Thursday, and Coheed tour that year? I don't know where your located, but in Los Angeles the date happened to be on Halloween. It's one of my favorite shows EVER.

- Garrett
February 09, 2012 08:31AM
First hardcore band & album I listened to was Endpoint - If The Spirits Are Willing.

I had just moved to Louisville, KY in '89 and I started skaterboarding. The skate scene was tied completely with the hardcore & punk scene there and through friends I went to my first hardcore show which happened to include Endpoint. Prior to the show, one of my friends lent me the EP tape and I was floored. I had never heard anything like it before and since then I was hooked. I started going to shows, picked up the releases by a lot of the bands of local scene and went from there.

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
February 10, 2012 01:21AM
"Yeah dude, that's the one! I don't remember exactly how I got it although I did go to that years Warped Tour. By any chance did you go to the Thrice, Thursday, and Coheed tour that year? I don't know where your located, but in Los Angeles the date happened to be on Halloween. It's one of my favorite shows EVER."

No but it sounds awesome!
February 10, 2012 01:27PM
I first got into stuff that I found through Nirvana like Melvins, Pixies, Breeders etc. Then a friend showed me a couple punk albums was shown a couple including Dead Kennedy's 'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables' and Sex Pistols 'Never Mind the Bollocks...'. The first hardcore albums I purchased were Closer Than Kin's 'Dead Flowers For a Dying Lover' EP and Unearth's 'The Stings of Conscience'.

[www.deadformat.net]
February 10, 2012 03:48PM
My first exposure to Hardcore Punk was the Santa Cruz skate video "Streets on Fire." Check out the track listing: [www.skatevideosite.com].
February 11, 2012 10:17AM
Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good question.
> It was probably Fear "The Record" or a JFA record,
> or something related to Skate culture.
> After that I quickly immersed myself in that
> world.
>
> -J.

Same boat, only mine was Black Flag in 1989. I listened to whatever Thrasher or my friend's big brother told me to listen to.
February 16, 2012 10:23AM
It was 1987. I was 13, in the 9th grade and a friend gave me a copy of Minor Threat - Minor Threat on a taped over Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel The Noize cassette. I was big into thrash up until this point but after listening to this I was instally hooked onto hardcore. I remember calling up my uncle who lived in Center City Philadelphia asking him to buy me a copy of the Minor Threat cassette since he lived near South Street and my local mall didn't carry "underground" music. I still listen to a lot hardcore today but I don't really go to shows anymore. I just feel weird and out place now that I'm 38.
February 17, 2012 02:10PM
Hatebreed in 2002
February 20, 2012 03:44PM
Bad Religion was the first punk/hardcore band that I got heavily into. I remember hearing one of their singles on a Skate compilation (Punk-o-Rama or Drag the Lake), probably Suffer of Generator, and following that up with a Napster search, and eventually finding my way to their website.Ironically enough, I felt guilty about listening to them after visiting their website and seeing what I mistakenly translated as anti-christian. Nevertheless, I liked the music a lot and I got the Process of Belief for Christmas that year, and the All Ages compilation with my Christmas money.

After doing as much research as I could into punk and hardcore through the next year or so, I started listening to some cheesy mallcore bands like Atreyu and Silverstein and Underoath (though I maintain that Underoath's first three albums are pretty good)until I found post-hardcore, specifically Thursday's Full Collapse, and Rites of Spring's End on End with a dash of Further Seems Forever. My appreciation for music has never been the same since.

- Ryan

"Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep alone." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
February 20, 2012 07:03PM
Minor Threat and Black Flag, then stuff like Integrity and Earth Crisis.
March 04, 2012 06:11PM
Atreyu, I think.

Someone might have told me about Minor Threat and that is the first hardcore band that stuck with me, but Atreyu is probably more correct and almost certainly better for conversation.

Around 2003/2004, there was a week where Atreyu and Bane played the same place, one before the other. Atreyu was sold out, and I was turned away at the door, so I thought, "oh, tomorrow I'll go see Bane" and that was a choice that changed my life for the better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login