Home > Deathtalk > Topic
NARROWS "Painted" now available for preorder!!!
December 20, 2011 12:52PM

Listen to NARROWS "Absolute Betrayer" now: [soundcloud.com]

Available in stores February 28th.
Ordering information will be posted soon.

While every bit as sonically vitriolic as their past endeavors, Painted attempts to focus its energy rather than lash out blindly. Songs like “Greenland” and “It’s The Water” still weigh in with bottom-heavy instrumentation, but lyrically look towards brighter horizons. Though the band seeks to close the emotional divide it basked in on their debut, the primary meaning behind New Distances couldn’t be more pertinent to the band’s sophomore album. The U.S. Department of Immigration recently denied entry to Cox, forcing the recruitment of temporary guitarist Mark Holcomb (Aeges, Undertow, Shift) for Narrow’s 2011 tour with Helms Alee. While the global nature of the band already limited their opportunities for touring, this additional roadblock further exacerbated the difficulties of writing and recording an album with members spread across the United Stated and Europe.

Despite the difficulties of recording across two hemispheres, Painted sounds like a band locked into a singular vision. Matt Bayles (Mastodon, ISIS, Minus The Bear) recorded the album at Red Room Studios with Cox’s guitar overdubs tracked by Wayne Pennell at Bunker Studios in Brentford, England during late night Skype sessions with the stateside members of the band. Due in part to the constraints of time and distance, Painted is a streamlined record. With eight songs clocking in at just over 27 minutes, the album wastes no time exorcising its demons. And while part of New Distances’ allure stemmed from it’s marriage of primal metallic hardcore with the effects-laden art rock approach of guitarists Cox and Frederiksen, Painted harnesses power from curtailing more of their experimental moments in favor of big meaty riffs and voracious tempos.

03/07: Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop
03/08: Philadelphia, PA @ Kung Fu Necktie
03/09: Brooklyn, NY @ Knitting Factory w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/10: Allston, MA @ Great Scott w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/11: Washington, DC @ DC9 w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/12: Chapel Hill, NC @ Local 506 w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/13: Atlanta, GA @ 529 w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/15: Austin, TX @ SXSW
03/16: Austin, TX @ SXSW
03/17: Austin, TX @ SXSW
03/18: Dallas, TX @ Club Dada BROFEST
03/19: Fayette, AR @ Dickson Theatre w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/20: St. Louis, MO @ Cicero's w/ All Pigs Must Die
03/21: Chicago, IL @ Subterranean w/ All Pigs Must Die

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 12:26PM by Tre.
Re: NARROWS "Painted" album details, "Absolute Betrayer" MP3, tour dates
December 20, 2011 01:33PM
Well fuck me sideways and color me stoked!!!

Awesome news! And the new songs fuckin' rips!!!

2012 is already shaping out to be a great year!

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
December 20, 2011 05:24PM
Ive been waiting for the record for so long. More than excited. Especially to see them in boston.
December 30, 2011 11:16AM
The new song is killer and I'll be at the March 8th show.
Tre
February 28, 2012 12:25PM

[deathwishinc.com]
[deathwishinc.com]
[deathwishinc.com]

Narrows "Painted" LP now available for preorder! Comes with INSTANT DOWNLOAD!!!

While every bit as sonically vitriolic as their past endeavors, Painted attempts to focus its energy rather than lash out blindly. Songs like “Greenland” and “It’s The Water” still weigh in with bottom-heavy instrumentation, but lyrically look towards brighter horizons. Though the band seeks to close the emotional divide it basked in on their debut, the primary meaning behind New Distances couldn’t be more pertinent to the band’s sophomore album. The U.S. Department of Immigration recently denied entry to Cox, forcing the recruitment of temporary guitarist Mark Holcomb (Aeges, Undertow, Shift) for Narrow’s 2011 tour with Helms Alee. While the global nature of the band already limited their opportunities for touring, this additional roadblock further exacerbated the difficulties of writing and recording an album with members spread across the United Stated and Europe.

Despite the difficulties of recording across two hemispheres, Painted sounds like a band locked into a singular vision. Matt Bayles (Mastodon, ISIS, Minus The Bear) recorded the album at Red Room Studios with Cox’s guitar overdubs tracked by Wayne Pennell at Bunker Studios in Brentford, England during late night Skype sessions with the stateside members of the band. Due in part to the constraints of time and distance, Painted is a streamlined record. With eight songs clocking in at just over 27 minutes, the album wastes no time exorcising its demons. And while part of New Distances’ allure stemmed from it’s marriage of primal metallic hardcore with the effects-laden art rock approach of guitarists Cox and Frederiksen, Painted harnesses power from curtailing more of their experimental moments in favor of big meaty riffs and voracious tempos.

TRACK LISTING:
01. Under The Guillotine
02. TB Positive
03. Absolute Betrayer
04. Greenland
05. "It's The Water"
06. Face Paint
07. Final Mass
08. SST

[deathwishinc.com]
[deathwishinc.com]
[deathwishinc.com]

February 28, 2012 12:31PM
Ordered x 3.
Re: NARROWS "Painted" now available for preorder!!!
February 28, 2012 12:47PM
Ordered, just listened to it. Great, I think it's even better than New Distances. Can't wait to get it.
February 28, 2012 01:30PM
Ordered x2...not feeling very rich today. Ha!

-Juan!

February 29, 2012 12:20AM
I ordered this up around noon and blasted it all day. This record is so Ridiculously good. Cant wait for Heiress and Rise and Fall now and hoping to catch 3 of Narrows east coast shows
February 29, 2012 10:10AM
I have listened to the album at least 6 times since downloading yesterday. It's so damn good!

I'm having a difficult time writing a solid review of it for the music site...no matter how great a review I do, it feels it won't do the album justice. Damn.

-Juan!

February 29, 2012 02:53PM
I haven't had this record on repeat the last day, and a half like most of you. I've listened to it a total of three time straight through, so it's obviously still setting in with me, but there are some things that stood out in those spins.

The record seems smoother than New Distances. ND took a little bit to grow on me/ me understand it. The first EP gave me a different impression on what the LP would sound like. Painted isn't any less aggressive. In fact, I think painted is more aggressive; It just feels more cohesive as a whole - something that's huge to me with records.

The Closer "SST" jumped out right away as my favorite. The lead guitar at 1:54 SO bad ass!

- Garrett
March 19, 2012 07:00PM
Got mine in today...nicely done DW...as always!

Odd that I ordered two but still managed to get the most rare (opaque grey) and the least rare (white)...I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!! Just odd...

Still awesone nonetheless!!!

-Juan!

March 29, 2012 11:18AM
there's an easter egg on the lp , did anyone find it ?

www.1000knives.com
twitter.com/rich_hall
twitter.com/1000knivesinc.com
DK
March 30, 2012 02:50PM
This record shreds. Narrows can do no wrong

-DK
January 31, 2013 04:09PM
I wish the hidden Morrissey cover was included in the mp3 download. It's pretty awesome.
February 04, 2013 10:21AM
We love surprises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login