Home > Deathtalk > Topic
Official: DEAFHEAVEN "Roads to Judah" CD/LP Thread
February 24, 2011 03:55PM

http://soundcloud.com/brooklynvegan/brooklynvegan-presents

From Brooklynvegan.com:

"...Momentum is king in the music world, and Deafheaven has it in spades. It began with two guys and eighty-five dubs to cassette, the result of which was the Deafheaven demo (streaming below and available for purchase at their Bandcamp page), a combination of classic screamo and pensive black metal that lit up the underground. Labels came calling and the San Francisco band teamed with Deathwish Inc for a limited release of tracks from the demo, as well as their forthcoming LP.

While a great demo is one thing, it doesn't always indicate staying power. Fortunately Deafheaven's new LP Roads To Judah is cut from a similar cloth, featuring another four tracks of pummeling and emotionally-tinged black-metal colored with sheets of post-rock. Check out the first song from the highly anticipated new LP, "Violet", in an edited form (for the first time anywhere), below. Look for Roads To Judah on April 26th via Deathwish Inc...

Click to read the interview: [www.brooklynvegan.com]

CD/LP Available April 26th, Pre-ordering will be announced shortly.

Recorded by Jack Shirley (guitarist of Comadre), "Roads to Judah", is a hypnotic thirty eight minute plunge into hazy musical darkness. A dizzying hybrid of Shoe-gaze shimmer, Hardcore vulnerability, and Black Metal intensity.

From the opening drone of the album it's as if we are are peering through a dream into the private world that is Deafheaven's "Roads to Judah". Layers and layers of instrumentation build, tangle and swirl before the real onslaught begins. A ferocious drum fill then thrusts us from the serene into a free fall, as if the ground below suddenly gave way. From there we plummet through one awe inducing sonic fog into the next, blurring the traditional lines of song. Hyper blasts of speed rage and pulse while lush guitars bellow, roar and whine with unorthodox melody. And just as we feel we've departed from reality from the aural overload, tortured vocals cry out from afar. Serving as a stark reminder that there is something very human about "Roads to Judah" and Deafheaven themselves.

Though the title could suggest something otherworldly, the "Judah" referenced is in fact the "N Judah" train, the busiest line of the San Francisco transit system. A relatable landmark to compliment the haunting ambiguity that surrounds Deafheaven and the music that they collectively create. On it, much of the lyrical writing and personal reflection for this album took place.

With that said, "Roads to Judah" isn't Heavy Metal role play, but a beautifully blackened artistic exploration of the issues and self loathing that can cloud every day life. A stunning achievement, emotionally and musically, that will surely shape aggressive music for years to come.

03/04: Los Angeles, CA @ Vacation Vinyl (In store) w/ Funeral Pyre
03/13: Canoga Park, CA @ Cobalt Cafe w/ Owen Hart, Xibalba
03/14: Mesa, AZ @ Underground w/ Owen Hart
03/15: Las Cruces, NM @ Trainyard Funeral Pyre, The Secret
03/16: Austin, TX @ SXSW TBA
03/17: San Antonio, TX @ Ten Eleven w/ Owen Hart
03/18: Austin, TX @ SXSW TBA
03/19: Austin, TX @ SXSW TBA
03/20: Dallas, TX @ Club Dada (Bro Fest) w/ Owen Hart, Funeral Pyre
03/21: Wichita, KS @ Eagles Lodge w/ Owen Hart
03/22: Denver, CO @ Blast O Mat w/ Owen Hart

Deafheaven Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Deafheaven Tumblr: [www.deafheaven.tumblr.com]
Deafheaven Bandcamp: [deafheavens.bandcamp.com]
Deafheaven Myspace: [www.myspace.com]

-J.

DEAFHEAVEN join the DW family, new album in 2011 and more!!!
December 16, 2010 12:45PM

Deafheaven are a genre defying aggressive band from San Francisco, CA.

Their hybrid musical approach is outright stunning. A melding of epic Post Rock leanings (Envy, Godspeed You! Black Emperor) with experimental Black Metal (Xasthur, Weakling, Leviathan), and classic era "Screamo" (Orchid, Crimson Curse) into something never successfully experienced before.

In the summer of 2010, Deafheaven released their self titled demo which received great reviews from all sides of the music Blogosphere.

Listen to "Exit: Denied" from that demo here: [soundcloud.com]

You can pick up a digital version of Deafheaven's full demo direct from their Bandcamp website (linked below).

"...Blasting percussion; high-quality tremolo picking riffs; distant, sneering vocals... it's all here. And that's all great, but it is the little boundary-pushing bits and pieces that they offer that really pushes things over the edge - from the beautiful acoustic passages to the epic, surging melodies, and even some "post-rock" textures, to...I'm probably scaring people away with some of these claims, but please don't let that happen. Amidst all of this, they really retain a sense of aggressive feeling. It is black metal, when all is said and done. And it's fucking awesome..."

- [www.aversionline.com]

"...By far, this is my favorite album of 2010, and I've not nothing else to say about it except GET INTO IT..."

- [youwillmove.blogspot.com]

"...Deafheaven have created a masterpiece with this self-titled debut; so much so that I am already anticipating a future full length from the band..."

- [www.metalarmy.com]

"...If there isn't a superstar line-up behind this stuff, there is some serious talent in desperate need of recognition here. Bottom line - go get it..."

- [truecultheavymetal.com] (Jose's Band of the Week)

Deafheaven will soon enter the studio to record their new album titled "Roads to Judah" with Jack Shirley (Funeral Diner, Loma Prieta). This highly anticipated album will be released on Deathwish in 2011.

Deafheaven Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Deafheaven Tumblr: [www.deafheaven.tumblr.com]
Deafheaven Bandcamp: [deafheavens.bandcamp.com]
Deafheaven Myspace: [www.myspace.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 10:48AM by Jake.
al
Re: DEAFHEAVEN join the DW family, West Coast tour announced, new album in 2011
December 16, 2010 01:13PM
Love the demo. Very interesting addition to the DW camp.
December 16, 2010 02:00PM
Very excited about this, well done guys! Things are looking damn good for Deathwish Inc. in 2011.
December 16, 2010 02:54PM
Kicking myself in the ass for not picking up the demo tape. This stuff is really good. Super stoked to hear what they do with a full length. I hope they keep the recording sound wise close to the demo.
December 17, 2010 12:42PM
I've lived in las vegas for too long but i still don't know what the Gogo Gallery is, nor could I find anything about it online. I'd like to go though. This band is pretty cool
December 17, 2010 01:05PM
Super stoked to hear the full length. Listening to the demo now and it is fucking great.

The only thing that could be better than this is if Darkthrone signed to Deathwish.

- Ryan

"Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep alone." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
December 19, 2010 03:19AM
So different for DW. If it's anything like the demo I'm in.

- phoenix.
December 19, 2010 05:15PM
A few show updates:

01/05: San Francisco, CA @ Five Points Art House w/ Religious Girls, Whirl
01/07: Olympia, WA @ The Northern w/ Owen Hart
01/08: Seattle, WA @ Black Lodge w/ Owen Hart
01/09: Portland, OR @ The Tube
01/10: Santa Cruz, CA @ 150 Pioneer
01/11: Fresno, CA @ Neighborhood Cafe
01/12: Las Vegas, NV @ Yayo Taco
01/13: Mesa, AZ @ Nile Underground
01/14: San Diego, CA @ Che Cafe
01/15: Bell Gardens, CA @ The Blacktop w/ Touche Amore
01/16: Oakland, CA @ Your Haus

-J.

December 19, 2010 07:15PM
I've listened to the demo a few times since downloading from their bandcamp. It fuckin' rips!

Stoked for their DW debut.

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
December 19, 2010 10:44PM
I think I'm a bit late to the party, but Deafheaven are fucking sick, I can't wait for the record.
December 20, 2010 09:12AM
Thanks everyone.
We are extremely excited to be working for them.

-J.

December 20, 2010 04:13PM
Hey Jake...did you guys get copies of the cassette demo or are those already gone?

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
December 20, 2010 04:46PM
jhulud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Jake...did you guys get copies of the cassette
> demo or are those already gone?

Sold out.

-J.

December 20, 2010 04:55PM
kick ass band...really excited to listen their dw material
December 21, 2010 01:54PM
I like this
-rob
December 21, 2010 01:57PM
Thanks Rob, we like you.

-J.

December 27, 2010 04:48PM
downloaded the demo last night and listened to it on the way to work this morning ... its really good. Im excited to hear the full length
December 27, 2010 09:13PM
Glad you dig.
More DH news coming very soon.

-J.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login