ANOTHER fake Jane Doe?
January 27, 2011 08:30PM
I dont know how to do that cool little link thing that all you guys know how to do but check this out.

I could be completely wrong, and if this is someone on here thats listing this, then I apologize if I am wrong.

These colors look completely wrong. It may be that its a crappy pic, but it also says that its not numbered. Did Jake do any of these not numbered? I new there were two different releases but I thought they were both numbered. As well as the "damaged" prints.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Take a look at this thing. Let me know what you think. If its fake, is there anything we can do or Jake can do so know unsuspecting buyer gets screwed?

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.
Re: ANOTHER fake Jane Doe?
January 27, 2011 09:40PM
does look pretty sketchy
January 27, 2011 10:13PM
Jane Doe was first printed as a giclee as an unnummered edition of 100, and they were 24x36. It was later printed by burlesque as a 7 color screen print with different paper dimensions (something like 26x34) with an edition size or 520 (with 70 water damaged prints stamped "rejected" on the back), and they were numbered with a mechanical stamp or something like that in the bottom left corner.

So it's possibly the giclee edition up for auction, and nothing sketchy going on. However, there was this funny business: [cgi.ebay.com] Same seller, same photo, and a really high price for that print. Perhaps there was buyers remorse and the buyer didn't pay (and no 2nd chance offer was made...) But it is strange to see the same seller selling the same item, you know?
January 27, 2011 10:26PM
Looks fairly legitimate to me.
A low quality Digital Photo isn't the best reference material for an investigation.

Thanks for the concern though, it is appreciated.

-J.

January 29, 2011 05:09PM
Ok. If that print is for sale by anyone on here, I apologize if I caused any problems. But we have all seen fakes on here before.

I forgot about the first run. But I really thought they were numbered. Idk why since I have prints from that time and they aren't numbered either. But the colors seemed pretty off. Even for a crappy digi pic. But I figured it may be worth asking. I don't want to see anyone get Fucked over.

February 04, 2011 11:42AM
To bump this thread:

[cgi.ebay.com]

That is clearly one to be worried about. Kellum's fakes were #27. I have e-mailed the original owner of the #27 to see if we can't shed some light on the situation. For the time being, I would strongly urge no one to bid on that print.
February 04, 2011 11:54AM
Confirmed, it's a fake. Do not bid (or bid at your own risk).
February 04, 2011 12:07PM
I was eyeing that giclee...was going to bid but then forgot about it...oh well.

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
February 04, 2011 01:13PM
You have $380.00+ to spare? Dang. Seriously though, I've never seen people bid so crazy for the giclee. I know it's rarer, but the screenprint historically goes for more (with the exception of that last auction).
February 04, 2011 01:47PM
andrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have $380.00+ to spare? Dang. Seriously
> though, I've never seen people bid so crazy for
> the giclee. I know it's rarer, but the screenprint
> historically goes for more (with the exception of
> that last auction).

No I do not...I thought of bidding BEFORE it got crazy...if it had stayed at around $125 or so, then yeah...

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
February 04, 2011 02:16PM
Feel free to spread the word about the amount of fakes that are out there and the story behind them.
I don't frequent that many boards, so perhaps you guys can help in letting people know not to purchase these #27s this guy made.
Thanks.

-J.

February 04, 2011 03:05PM
Already talking about it on EB, and for the record, I still "own" one of the Kellum Jane Doe's. But I'd be glad to spread the word and keep the story alive where I can.
February 05, 2011 10:51AM
Write. Thats ridiculous. I thought the kellum prints were a thing of the past. Don't think anyone had the balls or was still that naive about the whole situation.

Does anyone know how many of these things were actually made?

February 05, 2011 07:39PM
Apparently, eBay will only take an auction down if the copyright holder complains. Jake, you feel like doing a little work on this, so some poor kid doesn't loose $300+ on a fake print?

Looks like you need to fax this form to ebay (unless you have made a complaint before in the past):
[pics.ebaystatic.com]

And instructions: [pages.ebay.com]

As for the number of fakes. Kellum stated to Jake that "there is 6 Jane Does that were produced. Thats it."
February 06, 2011 03:38AM
Just spent 2 days getting through all this [forum.expressobeans.com]

Jesus Christ. Bummed there was no payoff.
February 06, 2011 12:46PM
I can't believe the effects of that whole scam is still being felt. I'm reading through that forum now and its crazy with what he got away with for certain time.

I also can't believe how much this fake print is going for. I feel sorry for whoever buys it and realizes its fake after wards

February 06, 2011 10:51PM
I'm probably going to bid $10000 on that auction and not pay, if it isn't taken down.... just saying.
February 08, 2011 05:05PM
andrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm probably going to bid $10000 on that auction
> and not pay, if it isn't taken down.... just
> saying.

Still plan on going through with this? I'd be willing to bid-war you up to some ridiculous figures. Can't afford to win it or get pegged with the bad rep, though. But it'd make my day if I bid $9,500 and instantly received a "You've been outbid" screen.
February 08, 2011 08:17PM
I can no longer publicly confirm or deny any plans I may or may not have in thwarting this auctions.

I was debating actually winning the auction, paying for it on a credit card, and then doing a charge back claim based on the forgery. But it's fairly risky if something goes wrong (loosing that much money over a fake). I guess you can always file a claim with paypal, but they make you send the print back (but nothing except good will forces you to send the actual item in question back). I'd like to get that print off the market, since the seller obviously has no interest in doing so. I imagine he'll just keep relisting it or do a private sale. So eventually, if this seller holds onto the print, he's bound to rip someone off, thus my wanting to win it then do a chargeback.... to get it off the street. The seller responded to a couple of my e-mails, but then stopped. I guess it's hard to do the right thing when bids are already up to $400 (or they were when he was e-mailing me).

I guess at this point, for the first auction, I'll see how well the faking bidding goes, and see if it does get relisted. I guess it shouldn't be my responsibility to make sure no one else gets ripped off directly or indirectly by Kellum's shenanigans. I shouldn't be so vested in this as I am...
February 08, 2011 10:13PM
Geez I hope that wasn't you who gambled a fat grand on that auction....

- Robin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login