Home > Deathtalk > Topic
as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 12:35PM
avatar
who else is excited for this?

by the way cover art look AMAZING as always
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 03:36PM
avatar
seriously? at best this band is only known for ripping off at the gates and preaching jesus from north county.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 04:23PM
-1

If they existed, I would buy their songs for Rock Band.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 07:03PM
Wait, people still like this band?
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 07:27PM
I think Tim Lambesis (sp) has made a good name for his work in general, between ALID, the work he did w/ pluto records before AILD signed to metal blade, his record label (which I think went under, but put out 3 solid releases that escape me right now), and his general good attitude towards others outweighs the naysayers. I'm not christian, or religious for that matter, but the man is solid, and deserves credit where its due.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 08:22PM
avatar
i mean i'll give you that, he's a nice guy. being from north county as he is, i've played softball with those guys and gone to the pub a couple times, and at least phil and he, the ones i've spoken too, are solid dudes. i have certain spiritual beliefs but i'm really picky about preachy and hardcore christians, especially those from the Inland Empire or Tennessee to be specific, but those guys are laid back about it.

And as a producer, he's pretty legit. He gets a good sound out of every album he touches. But when it comes to music, I just can't stand that garbage. It just sounds like the guitarists ripped every Swedish death metal riff and the bass player added backing vocals and put in break downs. Metalcore in general is just one of those genres that it's hard to take serious. Except for bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, and Coalesce I've never been a fan of this genre. Except maybe when I was like 14/15 I was listening to like Zao and stuff like that which helped get further into metal. But other than that, the genre just seems to try and rehash punk, metal, and hardcore in a really bad and very unoriginal way.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 08:44PM
I see what you're saying, good d00d, bad t00nz or whatever. I still say the split w/ american tragedy (wtf ever happened to them anyways?) is the best AILD release to date.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 07, 2010 09:36PM
avatar
who the fuck cares if their christian or athiest, i dig the music. i can care less if he's the biggest douche bag ever. good music is good music.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 08, 2010 02:02AM
avatar
I always felt that AILD and Himsa (along with a few others) were (are?) unfairly marginalized because of the genre they were lumped into. I still listen to both bands pretty regularly and feel no shame. That being said, I listened to the sample of the new As I Lay Dying record and wasn't compelled to listen to the rest of the album.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 08, 2010 02:47AM
avatar
Himsa > AILD any day. With that being said, i really don't care for Himsa's music. But John Pettibone, solid dude, and obviously someone who's actually rooted in hardcore and metal, therefore Himsa had a way more authentic feel to it and ordered the Thrash genre more than metalcore. And that's always been weird, because it was never the metalcore kids who liked them, the metal kids liked them and they never got big really in that scene.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 08, 2010 11:43AM
hickeyshark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who the fuck cares if their christian or athiest,
> i dig the music. i can care less if he's the
> biggest douche bag ever. good music is good music.


this is true if substance means nothing to you. there are definitely a few bands i disagree with ideologically, but listen to purely because i like what's going on in the rhythm section. however, i would not spend any significant amount of time listening to music that was promoting a message i am adamantly opposed to. would you listen to a band that sang about killing jews or puppies or adorable because "the tunes were sick brooo"?
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 08, 2010 05:49PM
avatar
yeah alex has a good point. you can say, who cares what they believe, but not every band is like saint vitus and keeps their views to themselves. how would you feel about being muslim and listening to a jewish band that hated islam? and there are bands out there like that. to say that what a band sings about doesnt matter, is only if you dont pay attention to the lyrical content or what message they're putting out there, and every band, intentional or not is putting some kind of message out there. and point driven, some people like myself, don't want to hear about jesus. i think one of the only religious bands out there, that sang about their beliefs but didnt try to preach to you, was extol, the death metal band from norway. as musicians, wow, those guys, especially the drumme david husvik could wipe the floor with 99.999999999% of the musicians around and yeah they sing about their beliefs, but just saying that it's a big part of them. not that you need to change your life because they're gonna play this sick breakdown like as i lay or norma jean would do.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 08, 2010 10:08PM
point in case, i don't listen to much zao anymore. tool to scream is pretty straight forward with its pro life message and after i got over the novelty of singing "MAR-TARRRR", i realized singing along with something i disagreed with made me feel really silly. i'll still check it out once in a while, but when dan starts singing about offering things up to his king it's time to relive my high school years with something a little less god-y.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 10:17PM by xoxcrow.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 09, 2010 08:19AM
preaching religious belief is against what hardcore/metal is all about. oh wait you should love jesus and the catholic religion for being or have been mass murders
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 09, 2010 12:00PM
avatar
whips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> preaching religious belief is against what
> hardcore/metal is all about. oh wait you should
> love jesus and the catholic religion for being or
> have been mass murders


this is such a generalized and cheapshot statement that i don't even know how to respond to it.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 09, 2010 08:50PM
I know that Im one of the most unreligous people out there. (although, with my old age, I have slowly become more spiritual.) But at the same time, bands like norma jean and as i lay dying, dont really offer me anything as far as there "message" goes. I dont really give a shit about what they are singing about, but I do dig there music. Atleast earlier norma. I still rock both of those bands on a regular basis and I like what I hear. I dont really go to shows anymore, so singing along with them is not even a consideration to me. But as far as blasting some heavy ass shit and some good screaming as I roll through the ghetto always makes me smile.

If that makes me seem shallow, I really dont give a shit. I dont care what people really think about what i like and what not anyway. I listen to music if it grabs me. That shit just happens to grab me, regardless of what lyrics they are sending out there. Im not a 14 y/o anymore sitting in my room, reading liner notes, and modeling my life after whats blaring through my speakers. If it excites me, its the music thats doing it first and foremost.
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 09, 2010 09:51PM
All religion have a positive side but they where use to serve Somers people interess
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 10, 2010 03:14AM
avatar
Am I the only one who DOESN'T think aild is "preachy"?
I know the lyrics are about God blah blah blah blah blah BUT definitely not what I consider to be preaching or shoving down anyones throat.
........could just be me though

- Garrett
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 10, 2010 03:36PM
avatar
will jake be putting out some prints of the cd sometime soon?
Re: as i lay dying's new cd
May 11, 2010 03:10AM
avatar
back to the point of the thread......
artwork is great and not sure what I think of the album yet

- Garrett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login