Home > Deathtalk > Topic
180 Gram Black vs. Regular Weight Color Vinyl
April 28, 2010 03:19PM
Is there a difference in sound quality? Please advise. Thanks.
Re: 180 Gram Black vs. Regular Weight Color Vinyl
April 28, 2010 03:46PM
I've been told no, but my ears say yes!

- Robin
April 28, 2010 05:46PM
I've heard yes and no but logic tells me the weight or color of the vinyl doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the mastering/pressing, although, I repeatedly hear complaints about the poor sound quality of picture disks so possibly it does? I've never pressed a record or recorded music before though so this is all pointless blather.
April 28, 2010 08:05PM
supposedly 45rpm is better sound quality, the only advantage I can see is 180gram won't warp and supposedly will stand the test of time, I just got a Hankshaw record that is so thin it's almost like one of the plexis they used to make haha
Tre
April 29, 2010 04:13AM
Really depends on your turntable / set up.

Tom
April 29, 2010 01:56PM
People who manufacture vinyl say it doesn't matter how thick the vinyl is, the groove are the same. It's just more buzzword incentive to sell like color, tip on jackets, etc. I think it all depends on the mastering and actual quality of the pressing (also, like Tre says, your setup). Those things serve their purpose (tip-on jackets hold up better over time), but you should really worry more about your needle staying fresh so it doesn't wear out the grooves. For example, my copy of You Fail Me sounds like AM radio because I used to play it so much on a shitty portable Numark before I knew better.
April 30, 2010 03:28AM
Okay so lets hear from you audio geeks. Whats the best setup for a reasonable price? I'm not talking masturbatory audio-file nonsense here, I'm talking, what's going to make my old ass copy of Dead Man's Party sound the best it can for the least amount of money?
April 30, 2010 06:58AM
Paradigm speakers and subs are great value for money in pretty much all budgets, well, at least I've been really happy with my Mini Monitors v5 and PS 1000 Sub.

A friend also has some fancy full height Paradigm monitors that sound amazing, along with some rediculously massive sub that's almost 3x2x2 foot....

I am lacking on turntables personally, I'm just using a friends Onkyo direct drive with Ortofon stylus'.

I am sure that many others will have their opinions, but like any other considerable purchase, you're best going out to try it all for yourself. Take a favourite album in with you and sit down in front of the stereos!
April 30, 2010 05:29PM
Here's my setup, it's very basic. I have a Technics direct drive SL-Q202 turntable. I bought it at an antique store for $50. I believe it's from the early 80's. Never had a problem with it. The turntable runs into a Rolls VP29 preamp. I bought that at the local audiophile (douche) record shop. I think it cost around $75. That runs into a basic Aiwa shelf stereo. Sounds good. Gets loud.

Tre
April 30, 2010 05:30PM
I just read a great term while googling, "Sonic Placebo"

A shit recording, on a shit turntable is going to sound like shit even it is on 180 POUND vinyl.

April 30, 2010 09:46PM
That's a given - besides, pieces of music that have been recorded digitally will see no benefit in terms of fidelity when transitioned to an analog medium.

I thought everyone bought their Pirates Press variants for the pompous wank factor these days anyway? I know I do. Well, that along with the fact that I enjoy the larger artwork, packaging and interaction that a piece of grooved plastic provides (flipping it over).
April 30, 2010 10:54PM
I don't know if it's because I'm young but honestly I hate flipping records over, you're there listening to it and then halfway through it stops and it's like shit, it makes me have 7"s even more, just sayin'
May 01, 2010 05:05PM
I actually enjoy the act of playing / flipping records, it just feels more deliberate and less passive. Fast forwarding / rewinding cassettes is another story.
May 02, 2010 12:58AM
I love flipping over the records, it's one of the many things i enjoy about listening to records.
May 02, 2010 03:40PM
The 180g weight has to do a lot with vibration dampening and flutter of the actual turntable. The sound won't be any different from press to press, but the sound coming through your set up will be different. If you have a crappy table with horrible vibration issues, the 180g will help.

I run a Pro-Ject RPM1.3 with a Sumiko Pearl cartridge through a Rotel 1064-A integrated amp that drive Boston Acoustics VR-3s. The whole set up would cost about $3,000 (including cables), but working for an audio company I paid about $1100.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login