A thank you to Deathwish Inc. (long)
March 20, 2010 06:22AM
In late 2007 I had a friend hooked on this weird type of music I'd never heard before. It was kind of like Eyehategod but it grooved even harder and sometimes broke out into amazing melodic instrumental pieces. This band was Rosetta.

I was totally intrigued by this music. My main staple has always been the traditional forms of metal, hardcore and my undying love of anything that has a d-beat in it. By nature I love old school death metal such as Autopsy and Dismember, grindcore like Repulsion, Terrorizer, Napalm Death and Impetigo, raw crusty as fuck hardcore from the last 20 years and I love d-beat bands like Inepsy, Skitkids, No Security, Disfear, Skitsystem, The Great Deceiver (had no idea they came from this label), Discharge (duh) etc.. and so much more.

Anyway, after I heard Rosetta I was completely curious. I liked it but it was far more emotionally charged than my usual diet of music. I don't have anything against this but it was a whole new sound fusion I'd never heard.

I listened to that album every so often but the turning point was when Disfear dropped "Live The Storm" and At The Gates decided to reunite. I saw Tomas Lindberg wearing a Doomriders shirt but I thought it might be some sort of motorbike company, perhaps. It wasn't until later in the year that I saw an article somewhere that was promoting the upcoming Disfear/Doomriders split. I was super happy, more Disfear!

So the split drops and I finally get my hands on it, I play through the Disfear song and it totally rocks. I flip the 7" and put it on the Doomriders track - BAM - WOW, what is this? A 4min song that has the sound of what the Foo Fighters mixed with Dismember/Entombed members would sound like. A catchy riff, a great hookline and screamed but completely audible vocals all on top of a fat guitar tone!

I had to have more, it was a huge consuming impulse (Pestilence much?). I went back to this website and took a listing of every band on the site and downloaded every album I could find (Don't harp at me about this, I've bought 80% of what I've downloaded on vinyl) and researched any associated/similar acts and to my astonishment found a tonne of amazing bands, labels and even other bands who I'd listen to in my own normal passage of music. There were so many facets and even though most bands had a common thread, they all sounded very unique to eachother. The artwork was a lot different to the blood and guts I was used to and the culture of the music seemed to sway heavily towards making sure albums were always available in vinyl or coloured vinyl! (<3 collecting records)

The world opened up with being able to hear the first Doomriders album. Their style is just beyond the realm of being classified as good and bands like Trap Them took all the best elements from sludge, hardcore and death metal and fused it into a BFG-9000 (Doom game). There's obviously countless other amazing bands on this label and other labels such as the obvious like Kylesa and Baroness down to the somewhat lesser known like Disappearer, Mouth Of The Architect etc..

So I'd just like to give a big thanks and praise to Jake and all of the staff at Deathwish for running this label and making sure that extreme music doesn't stagnate like it has in the Death Metal and Grindcore worlds. This is probably the first time in my life I've been anticipating NEW albums rather than finding an artist and trying to go back to find their first (glory years) albums or demos.

Thanks again, hope you appreciate the sentiments and I'll stop being a ball sucker. thumbs up

Worship old school death metal.
[www.oldschooldeathmetal.com]
[forums.oldschooldeathmetal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 06:25AM by Equalizer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login