Home > Deathtalk > Topic > Page 2
Re: the great american job hunt
February 28, 2010 08:05PM
I'm lucky enough to have a full time job, but I was looking for a second job to finally afford a car, and NO ONE would hire me. I could work after 5pm every day and all day weekends, but everyone was like 'nah' - I even got denied a job scrubbing dishes sad smiley shit sucks hardcore.
March 04, 2010 10:09PM
If it makes you guys feel any better, I got "let go" from my dishwashing job like 2 months ago. Even though other people got laid off that week and it was the first time this happened, I blame it on dropping a tiny stack of plates. Fuck them if they boot me from my job for dropping 5 banquet plates.
March 04, 2010 10:47PM
I am currently looking towards moving to a new town and a job. heres to something better. and again, best of luck to all of you.
March 05, 2010 01:48PM
I just had an interview with a motorcycle shop. Totally kicked it in the dick and made it my bitch. Keeping my fingers crossed.
March 05, 2010 03:19PM
I'm pretty sure my group home is in the process of shutting down. the bad news, funemployment and reduced funds. the good news, it frees me up to post more on the internets, do a job search and dust off the old resume', and maybe, just maybe get that job I actually want. the reason I think its shutting down is that my hours have been reduced to only 6 this entire weekend (I usually work 32 or more), and the old favorites game is currently being played, but thats ok, I think if it does shut down, this could be the best thing in the world for me. sometimes, sometimes, you just have to let these things happen to make the person you can be come out and flourish. no time for fingers crossed, just time to get to it and give it everything.

and to b_pizzle, hope you get it man.
DK
March 08, 2010 02:54PM
I regret to say that I am now included on this list. After 3 years of working at a very lucrative restaurant, I was let go. I would argue that mutiny is a better term in regard to the fact that I was cut for the reason that a female server (who's father was the manager) had ongoing angst over an issue that had been resolved months ago.

I was the youngest server on staff, consistently outsold every other server on the lineup even in a wine competition during the holiday months. The irony there being that I'm 19 and "can't drink".

Time to file for unemployment and wave goodbye to my new years resolution.

-DK
March 17, 2010 12:01PM
heres an update of how shitty people can be...after 2 weekends of NOT working and no returned phone calls from my shit bosses (they've been dodging ALL of the staff, even the house managers), and more than likely NOT working again, I've figured something out about this dog and pony show. they are NOT firing people so that they CANNOT collect unemployment, just saying they are on payroll and are all PRNs (as needed staff for those who dont know what PRN means). another thing they've been doing is asking for several staff members' other job schedules and calling them on days to work KNOWING FULL GODDAMN WELL we are at our other jobs, and I'm sure they will use that as an excuse to not fire us and say something along the lines that they "tried to get us in that week"...fucking awesome. I am so angry.

I've figured it out, they dont wanna pay us for unemployment and I'm pretty sure its illegal to do that, or its at the very least employee abuse and other legal terms I dont know fuckall about. soooooo, I have job interview (sorta) today @ 430 or so for an adult facility (better pay by far), so theres that. and to anyone else out there looking, still wishin YOU the best of luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 12:06PM by godframedme.
March 19, 2010 12:41PM
interview on wed @ 1230, pretty stoked on that.
DK
March 19, 2010 02:13PM
godframedme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> heres an update of how shitty people can
> be...after 2 weekends of NOT working and no
> returned phone calls from my shit bosses (they've
> been dodging ALL of the staff, even the house
> managers), and more than likely NOT working again,
> I've figured something out about this dog and pony
> show. they are NOT firing people so that they
> CANNOT collect unemployment, just saying they are
> on payroll and are all PRNs (as needed staff for
> those who dont know what PRN means). another
> thing they've been doing is asking for several
> staff members' other job schedules and calling
> them on days to work KNOWING FULL GODDAMN WELL we
> are at our other jobs, and I'm sure they will use
> that as an excuse to not fire us and say something
> along the lines that they "tried to get us in that
> week"...fucking awesome. I am so angry.
>
>
>
> I've figured it out, they dont wanna pay us for
> unemployment and I'm pretty sure its illegal to do
> that, or its at the very least employee abuse and
> other legal terms I dont know fuckall about.
> soooooo, I have job interview (sorta) today @ 430
> or so for an adult facility (better pay by far),
> so theres that. and to anyone else out there
> looking, still wishin YOU the best of luck.

FUCK THEM!
Sadly this is all too common and it would seem that they are doing thing by the corrupt book on that one. Ive looked into wage claims as well as wrongful termination suites, Im going to file a claim against my previous employer for working 3 whole years without one single break (be it 10 or 30 min lunch). I suppose Ill update this thread for therapeutic purposes.

-DK
March 20, 2010 05:45AM
I'm sorta glad I live in Australia after reading this thread - sounds like it's a rough deal getting full-time work.

Hope you all stumble across something.

- phoenix.
March 20, 2010 01:04PM
Update: Got a job here in Austin entering test scored for the
no child left behind tests. 500 a week and a check every Friday. Since my rent is only 300, this Is Is a pretty sweet set up. I'll actually have money to pay bills, take care of myself and actually get tattooed. Gotta say that i'm jealous of my girlfriend who does freelance makeup. Which is to say she works one day a week doing a Music Video, Commercial, Photo Shoot or even a Wedding and makes 500-600 in a single day. Needless to say things are looking up for us for the first time in awhile. Good luck to the rest of you dudes out there.
March 20, 2010 04:13PM
Heard back from the motorcycle shop this week. I was told I was overqualified and they were concerned I would get bored with the work. Come to find out they only interviewed one other dude who had no experience so they hired him and paid him $4/hr less than the job was posted for. FML.
March 20, 2010 08:12PM
Bummer dude. Can't say the amount of rejection letters I've read in the last 6 months. Keep at it though dude.
March 24, 2010 05:46PM
soooooooooo, between my shitty current boss being a total asshole about givin me his tax info so I can get some money back from taxes and more call dodging...there is a bright spot. 80% sure I have a new job working w/ true Dev. Dis./Mentally Retarded adults. I know I'll pass the DCI background check, and they want me in training by early next month. really stoked on this. hows everyone elses' luck been?
March 24, 2010 08:38PM
I've got a few leads but nothing concrete yet. Good luck with that job godframedme. I have several friends that do that and love it. I could just never bring myself to do it. They have to wipe asses and it's just not something I could stomach.
March 31, 2010 07:06PM
did not get the job. fuck my life. may move out to vegas and live w/ a friend, she says she can get me something decent, and by decent she means vegas decent, not bumfuck nc decent....and i have no idea what the fuck vegas decent is. soooooo, fingers crossed again.
April 03, 2010 05:16PM
Finally got a job after a year of looking! And a good one at that! I'm selling insurance now (well, once I get my license). I've never done a lot of sales before but this has a solid base pay of 12$ an hour plus 5% commission. I don't know where everyone else lives but in Indiana this is killer money because it has one of the lowest cost of living rates in the country. That means plenty of money to spend on useless hobbies like tattoos, bikes and screenprints! Keep your head up guys, there's a job out there for you somewhere.
April 04, 2010 12:22PM
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Finally got a job after a year of looking! And a
> good one at that! I'm selling insurance now
> (well, once I get my license). I've never done a
> lot of sales before but this has a solid base pay
> of 12$ an hour plus 5% commission. I don't know
> where everyone else lives but in Indiana this is
> killer money because it has one of the lowest cost
> of living rates in the country. That means plenty
> of money to spend on useless hobbies like tattoos,
> bikes and screenprints! Keep your head up guys,
> there's a job out there for you somewhere.

Qucik word of advice for being a salesmen. Learn how to lie through your teeth. It really helps. It may play with your morals sooner or later, but for me, the money always wins out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login