Home > Deathtalk > Topic
the great american job hunt
February 13, 2010 10:27AM
well, its getting to that point at my jobs (both of them) where either there can be no advancement, and watch as my hours slowly get cut away and given to nonworkers. so now its time to get back out there, find a NEW job, and hopefully move somewhere new and better, OR at least make enough to commute. look out presidents day, I'm on the internet now. all your jobs are belong to us.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 13, 2010 01:21PM
Good luck. And that's for real. I don't know where you're from or how the job market is there but I live in Indiana and it's not good. I came home from Iraq a little over a year ago to find that my job I had when I left (and by law was being held for me) was laying off over half of the workers, including me, permanently. I hadn't even been back long enough to go back to a day of work. I've been on the hunt ever since. Every time I get excited about a potential job it ends up being a dead end or scam. Hopefully that'll change soon.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 13, 2010 01:54PM
I live in rutherford county NC, home of the 20%+ unemployed demographic where if you like flipping burgers OR working at fucking walmart to get by is your kinda thing, then move on down here. I've noticed that things like education and experience quickly go to the wayside when all that matters is what good ole boy ya know. I'm sure the good ole boy network extends to much (if not all) of the USA and other places, but the way I was raised, it was supposed to be the most qualified. I could go on and on and on about the dying mental health careers and other human services that are slowly being shut down for one reason or another, but thats for another post.


to anyone who is looking for a job, I sincerely hope you can get there.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 13, 2010 05:51PM
avatar
i feel you guys for sure. i moved to korea to teach english over the summer because i couldn't lock down a job in seattle. when that ended i moved to LA in september and ended up working for a production company that did those puppet master movies that scammed me on pay. i'm now in austin because my girlfriend got a job here and i'm looking to get a job teaching. i might have a teaching gig for a special ed class which would be really perfect if it works out. i've also considered applying at some local venues to see if i can do lighting or sound.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 14, 2010 01:33PM
I guess its great to just have gotten into college at 17 for me. Even though it's only community college and it was because i managed to beat the system that is high school academics (Rancocas Valley is a joke of a school, by the way). But i guess it's only a matter of time before i graduate or drop out and am forced to work full time. I just hope that going into culinary arts works out for me (being such a highly needed profession and great pay).
Re: the great american job hunt
February 14, 2010 07:53PM
harkonnen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i feel you guys for sure. i moved to korea to
> teach english over the summer because i couldn't
> lock down a job in seattle. when that ended i
> moved to LA in september and ended up working for
> a production company that did those puppet master
> movies that scammed me on pay. i'm now in austin
> because my girlfriend got a job here and i'm
> looking to get a job teaching. i might have a
> teaching gig for a special ed class which would be
> really perfect if it works out. i've also
> considered applying at some local venues to see if
> i can do lighting or sound.



I work w/ kids w/ special needs at my group home, if you want some more hands on experience, see what you can find either doing direct care (one on one) or working in a 24hr facility (level III group home) like I do. pay might suck, but the experience and what you can do to change peoples' lives for the better is totally worth it.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 14, 2010 08:51PM
avatar
I wish you the best of luck my friend. Sincerely. I have a sense of what you're going through right now. My brother has been in and out of work for the close to the last two years. He's a chef with years of experience but he has been having a very hard time finding a place at which he can stay full-time and not worry about having hours cut. On top of that he has gone through some serious health issues. As a family, we have pulled together to help him out as best as possible but sometimes it's not enough. It's really heart-breaking to have to struggle like this.

BUT...we're being POSI and taking it all one step at a time.

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
Re: the great american job hunt
February 15, 2010 12:02AM
avatar
godframedme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> harkonnen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i feel you guys for sure. i moved to korea to
> > teach english over the summer because i
> couldn't
> > lock down a job in seattle. when that ended i
> > moved to LA in september and ended up working
> for
> > a production company that did those puppet
> master
> > movies that scammed me on pay. i'm now in
> austin
> > because my girlfriend got a job here and i'm
> > looking to get a job teaching. i might have a
> > teaching gig for a special ed class which would
> be
> > really perfect if it works out. i've also
> > considered applying at some local venues to see
> if
> > i can do lighting or sound.
>
>
>
> I work w/ kids w/ special needs at my group home,
> if you want some more hands on experience, see
> what you can find either doing direct care (one on
> one) or working in a 24hr facility (level III
> group home) like I do. pay might suck, but the
> experience and what you can do to change peoples'
> lives for the better is totally worth it.

thanks for the heads up. i actually already have experience in this field though. i worked with special education for about 5 months in 2007 from ages 7-21. i'm hoping to lock something down this week. i'm supposed to hear about a potential interview. where do you live that you work at a group home?
Re: the great american job hunt
February 15, 2010 09:20PM
I live in rutherford county nc. the idea of a group home is pretty much being a counselor, cook, help kids clean stuff up, educate, counsel, dispense and admin meds, count meds, set up appointments for them, take them, help them w/ legal decisions (if required, rare, but it happens), school work help, etc etc etc. the levels go (in a super basic and simplified way and only applicable to NC state standards) as such

Level 1 - adoption (if ward of the state or in DSS custody)
Level 2 - Foster Care/low level group home - less restrictions on clients, they can have jobs, but have strict cerfews, most are assissted living homes for 18+, but there are a few regular group homes (non-foster) that are level II, and then you have foster homes.
Level 3 - restricted 24 hr living facility - usually for kids who have been in DSS custody and have no home to go to, homeless kids, kids in and out of juvenille detention centers, wards of the state, etc etc etc. the house I worked in before the current one was a Level 3 SAAY house, made specifically for sexually abused/aggressive youth. another thing about level 3 is that there are also girls houses, and there are usually very few level 2 girls' houses, they exist but the actual number is less than 20 or so in the states. another thing is some level 2 houses have converted into level 3 houses (legal reasons, financial reasons, type of clients, etc). these homes are either for children to legal adult, and also, level 3 houses are also considered for adults if they are deemed legally incompetent. you also have the use of restraints and approved holds and ways to restrict clients if they become violent to themselves or others.
Level 4 - Juv. Detention Center. aka Lock Down
Re: the great american job hunt
February 16, 2010 02:12AM
avatar
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good luck. And that's for real. I don't know
> where you're from or how the job market is there
> but I live in Indiana and it's not good. I came
> home from Iraq a little over a year ago to find
> that my job I had when I left (and by law was
> being held for me) was laying off over half of the
> workers, including me, permanently. I hadn't even
> been back long enough to go back to a day of work.
> I've been on the hunt ever since. Every time I
> get excited about a potential job it ends up being
> a dead end or scam. Hopefully that'll change
> soon.

Look at America, takin' care of our vets! This shit pisses me off, sorry to hear that man. Ideologically, I'm opposed to this war, but, seriously, when someone serves overseas during wartime, I think they're entitled to a thing or two once and if, they return home, basic employment opportunities being one of them. Your former employer is a giant cock.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 23, 2010 05:27PM
So I replied to 3 ads from the Sunday paper today. 2 of them were Kirby dealers. Fuck my life.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 23, 2010 10:26PM
Good luck to everyone lookin for work. It seriously sucks out there. And I live in NYC. There is not much a kid wants to do today out of college. Know one wants to work a trade and get there hands dirty. Everyone wants to be a CEO from the start. But for real, that is the best way to go. Someone will always need to flush a toilet, turn on a light, or need heat or ac.

I pretty much lucked out in my line of work. Its no "career" but it pays bills and I have benefits. Not bad for never finishing college. I kinda fell into it and stuck with it, but that was way back when things werent too bad.

Now they are starting to lay off drivers in my place, so im wondering when that will trickle down to the counter/warehouse workers. Different unions but it still seems like it could come at any time.

But no worries, Obamas gonna fix it all real good.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 23, 2010 11:01PM
I'm in the Army currently. There is part of me that hates it and wants out badly (I've been in the military almost 7 years now) and there is part of me that simply grateful to have a job. I feel for you guys, I've had to swallow my pride and take on some pretty lame jobs before. Keep at it, it will pay off.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 24, 2010 12:47PM
Yeah the army sucks but every once in awhile....you catch yourself having fun shooting machine guns.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 24, 2010 08:11PM
I don't really get to shoot machine guns too much anymore, instead I watch the soldiers do it, and teach them how. Regardless, I think about getting out and going back to art on the regular.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 24, 2010 08:45PM
Yeah do that instead. That's why I'm happy I haven't got promoted. I still get to do the cool stuff.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 24, 2010 11:28PM
It's not too bad, I have a ton of freedom to do as I please most of the time.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 27, 2010 03:02PM
avatar
i've got 3 interviews on monday as a special ed teacher. fingers crossed, need that dollar to fill in my sleeve, buy vinyl and take my lady to seaworld.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 27, 2010 06:31PM
Don't get eaten by a whale.
Re: the great american job hunt
February 27, 2010 10:34PM
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't get eaten by a whale.


haha! i wanted to say that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login