Home > Deathtalk > Topic
DK
iPad thread
January 27, 2010 04:07PM
avatar
I'll reserve my opinion on this one but I would love to hear thoughts from others.

Apple and Steve Jobs launched their iPad today in San Francisco. Highly anticipated tablet, which many are now calling a XL iPhone.

Has a new Book Store feature with the usual iTunes, Apps, Calendar, Notes, etc etc.

[www.apple.com]

-DK
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 04:27PM
avatar
The only problem I have with these things is they only end up getting bought by people who don't really need them.

They could replace a laptop, but I guarantee in most cases the guy who goes out and buys an iPad has a laptop, desktop, portable DVD player he doesn't use anymore and probably a digital sandwich maker.

The name iPad is extremely unattractive anyway. It just sounds like someone saying iPod with a really hokey accent.

All and all, I really can't complain about people who collect technology like this but it does seem like a pretty redundant product to me.

- Ryan

"Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep alone." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 04:35PM
Tre,

buy me an iPad send it to Belgium,
shouldn't be a problem getting it thru customs
as those people are always on the ball and super helpfull!

I back the iPad.

Vince
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 04:44PM
avatar
I can see the use for this. but i feel like i've watched apple destroy media as I know it. record stores are crumbling due to itunes and mp3 players (in my opinion). Print sources now? I think there is nothing like having a book collection or record collection, movies, even cd's. I think stocked book cases are endearing and even sexy.

I feel like a lot of the charm and character of such sources will be lost. and thats down right sad.

Maybe im missing the premise, but thats what it feels like to me.
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 05:00PM
avatar
vincent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tre,
>
> buy me an iPad send it to Belgium,
> shouldn't be a problem getting it thru customs
> as those people are always on the ball and super
> helpfull!
>
> I back the iPad.
>
> Vince

If we did that, you'd just leave it at Customs and ask us to overnight another to you for tour!!! Ha.

-J.

Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 05:52PM
Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vincent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tre,
> >
> > buy me an iPad send it to Belgium,
> > shouldn't be a problem getting it thru customs
> > as those people are always on the ball and
> super
> > helpfull!
> >
> > I back the iPad.
> >
> > Vince
>
> If we did that, you'd just leave it at Customs and
> ask us to overnight another to you for tour!!!
> Ha.
>
> -J.

it's funny coz it's true

Vince
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 06:17PM
i'd much rather read a normal book. my eyes start to hurt after staring at writing on a computer for long periods of time, so if that is the only real new thing then it seems pretty dumb. that said, the size of it, and what it is capable of is phenominal.

- alex
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 06:33PM
avatar
I'd rather carry around a slate and a chisel.
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 06:40PM
avatar
Reading real books is still where it's at!

-Juan!

"Buying records is not a revolution..."
DK
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 07:06PM
avatar
To shorten my answer,

"As always with Apple, wait till they re-vamp it in 6 months to a year!"

Im an Apple convert but I will wait at least till they re-do this sucker for the 2010 Christmas Crowds.

-DK
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 07:34PM
avatar
staticpain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can see the use for this. but i feel like i've
> watched apple destroy media as I know it. record
> stores are crumbling due to itunes and mp3 players
> (in my opinion). Print sources now? I think
> there is nothing like having a book collection or
> record collection, movies, even cd's. I think
> stocked book cases are endearing and even sexy.
>
> I feel like a lot of the charm and character of
> such sources will be lost. and thats down right
> sad.
>
> Maybe im missing the premise, but thats what it
> feels like to me.


This.
DK
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 07:47PM
avatar
As for what staticpain said, I see the love for the old, but I am also a follower of the electronics they are constantly pioneering.

Im the guy with 14,000+mp3s but a grippe of vinyl. The books however I think are an excellent idea, especially because they plan on extending this to college textbooks which would be a huge next move. I would get down with this.

-DK
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 08:54PM
avatar
I admit I was really fired up about this when it came up on the radar a few months back. I figured it would be an awesome replacement for my old macbook, as the specs sounded like it would be a game changer.

When everything was announced today I was like, "Wow, $499 what a deal!" Then I realized it was nothing but an iPhone with no call capabilities(yet). No HDMI out, No Camera...it is just a big Ipod Touch.

I was dazzled for a hot minute. Then senses kicked in. I'm getting a macbook pro, fuck the iPad.

-rob
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 09:03PM
Eh...

I love certain Apple products. My iPod classic goes everywhere with me, including different rooms in the house. The iPod will probably always be my Apple favorite. iPhones are annoying. Every friend I have with one would rather check their Facebook on it between awkward conversational pauses than just sit in silence. As for books, I like having a library of physical books that I can read whenever I want and exchange with friends. This iPad though? It does look like a big ass iPhone. They talk about apps on the video but does it do well with real programs? If not, well I have a friggin laptop that can do that. Mobile movies? That might be cool for road trips but come on, do we really need to take them everywhere? And can you rip the movies already in your collection to the hard drive or do you have to buy them again through iTunes? If I had shitloads of money I might throw it away on this, but probably not. Or maybe I just don't get the point of it. Regardless, Apple stock jumped over the past few days which launched me to the front of my investment class's mock stock market thingy. To bad it's just play money...
Re: iPad thread
January 27, 2010 10:14PM
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eh...
>
> I love certain Apple products. My iPod classic
> goes everywhere with me, including different rooms
> in the house. The iPod will probably always be my
> Apple favorite. iPhones are annoying. Every
> friend I have with one would rather check their
> Facebook on it between awkward conversational
> pauses than just sit in silence. As for books, I
> like having a library of physical books that I can
> read whenever I want and exchange with friends.
> This iPad though? It does look like a big ass
> iPhone. They talk about apps on the video but
> does it do well with real programs? If not, well
> I have a friggin laptop that can do that. Mobile
> movies? That might be cool for road trips but
> come on, do we really need to take them
> everywhere? And can you rip the movies already in
> your collection to the hard drive or do you have
> to buy them again through iTunes? If I had
> shitloads of money I might throw it away on this,
> but probably not. Or maybe I just don't get the
> point of it. Regardless, Apple stock jumped over
> the past few days which launched me to the front
> of my investment class's mock stock market thingy.
> To bad it's just play money...


It was said in an earlier post, but this thing seems pretty redundant. It does everything an iphone does except make phone calls. No inputs or outputs. looks like you even have to buy a plan with at&t for it to work wherever you want. wifi is cool, but if your in the middle of nowhere you need that plan i guess.

apple seems to just put out the same shit in a different format.

as far as makin some money on the stock, you shoulda bought it last year. it doubled since then. i bought it a few years ago and cashed in and made some pretty decent money. i just bought it again a few months ago and ill see how it goes.

as far as buying this thing, ill wait. im sure the 2gen or even the 3gen will be much better. maybe sd slots, hdmi outs, bigger hardrives and different os. etc.
Re: iPad thread
January 28, 2010 12:07AM
avatar
I'm a mac fanboy and I think silent-as-I-am put it best, the product is redundant. It even seemed like Steve Jobs was justifying it's production in the unveiling. I think if it was billed as an e-reader with a metric fuck-ton of extras it would be better received, all the hype running up to it made it seem like it would make laptops obsolete. I'll stick with my macbook.
Re: iPad thread
January 28, 2010 12:18AM
Oh I didn't actually buy the stock, this is just for a class. I wish I was smart enough to invest in stuff like that instead of prints, records, tattoos and booze. But what fun would that be?
Re: iPad thread
January 28, 2010 12:40AM
avatar
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I didn't actually buy the stock, this is just
> for a class. I wish I was smart enough to invest
> in stuff like that instead of prints, records,
> tattoos and booze. But what fun would that be?


I had a stock market class in middle school. I bought sony. then ps2 came out. we won.
Re: iPad thread
January 28, 2010 12:55AM
Yeah we had one in elementary and we bought IBM when they built big blue (I think) to beat the chess champ and had some other shit debut. We finished first against high schoolers and college kids and got pizza. It was awesome.
DK
Re: iPad thread
January 28, 2010 02:37AM
avatar
Thinking about about investing in the stock market.
-DK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login