Read this book.
January 21, 2010 03:28AM
I wouldn't say I enjoyed this book. I read it. and I learned from it.

"This anonymous novel's lack of plot and unsympathetic protagonist actually lends itself to the sense of modernist ennui it intends to evoke, but that doesn't make it a pleasant read.
Apparently the only product thus far from an anonymous group called the Dedrabbit International Artist Collectives, Manifesto is 200 pages of discontent with modernity. Stripped down, the book tells a story in rambling snippets of a college dropout from a wealthy family, unwilling and unable to deal with society, who attempts to find his identity through extended bouts of hitchhiking across the country. Think Holden Caulfield, five years older and with a cirrhotic liver and undiagnosed bipolar disorder. Stylistically, Manifesto is a weird blend of postmodernist vignettes-few scenes last longer than a page or two, and they're arranged with a total disregard for chronological order-and clipped, functional sentences that are almost reminiscent of Raymond Carver or Ernest Hemingway. The scenes themselves are extraordinarily effective in places; an account of a failed attempt with a prostitute is cringe-inducing, and repeated descriptions of factory work create a concrete sense of monotony and meaninglessness that mirrors the narrator's own search for purpose. This novel's anonymous author has a clear structural grasp of many of the influences cited on the Dedrabbit Web site, particularly J.D. Salinger and Jack Kerouac, but ironically it's this book's literary credentials that are its undoing. Despite a perplexing fondness for unnecessary hyphenation, this is a smart novel, worthy of discussion in the very college literature courses the narrator so despises. On the other hand, it's hardly the kind of thing you'd want to read unless you had to; the lack of a cohesive storyline is off-putting enough, but who wants to read 200 pages about an unsympathetic character complaining about how miserable he is that he has too much money and too much whiskey? Would that we all had such problems."

No cover art or anything. 200 pages of shit. If you want it go to www.dedrabbit.com

----------
Masada. - NEW TRACKS UP - NEW EP OUT NEVER

It's been a long day, every day is too long.
Re: Read this book.
January 21, 2010 03:31AM
I think i have this haha.

got it a few years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 03:32AM by staticpain.
January 21, 2010 03:33AM
Its not new or anything, was just thinking about it today.

----------
Masada. - NEW TRACKS UP - NEW EP OUT NEVER

It's been a long day, every day is too long.
January 21, 2010 12:27PM
I dont read books that some people supposedly say are "great books"

There is no way I would ever read a book like this. I will wait for the movie.
January 21, 2010 02:55PM
inkblots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont read books that some people supposedly say
> are "great books"
>
> There is no way I would ever read a book like
> this. I will wait for the movie.

Haha. This book would make a horrible movie. I found this book at a weird point in my life and it helped me through a lot of shit.
January 27, 2010 04:29PM
Seems like an interesting book. I'm about 1/6 of the way through the Sound and the Fury so I'll stick with that for now.

- Ryan

"Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep and you weep alone." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
January 28, 2010 12:11AM
Um..... I think ten years ago this was called Evasion and forty years before that it was called On The Road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login