Re: Bannon - Poseidon / Framed Art thread
May 28, 2010 10:38PM
Got 2 things back today. So stoked to hang these things up.

DK
May 29, 2010 03:07AM
Lookin good man.

I really like the way your True Nihilist turned out

-DK
May 29, 2010 12:08PM
Thanks, My girlfriend picked that matte out. Shes got a good eye. Turned out awesome. The other one is Brandon Dunlap. That guy has some sick shit with small editions. He used some kind of cotton rag paper to the edges are all tattered. I floated that so you can see the edges.
November 11, 2010 05:43PM
Framed my giants. Bought poster framing kits, and assembled them myself.

j. bannon - poseidon

j. bannon - the sea beast

now, to find wall space for these monsters.
November 15, 2010 08:47AM
@Andrew: Man that sea beast looks awesome!

Here's one of mine, srry bout the crappy quality, it's made by mobile phone.

November 17, 2010 01:11PM
@ Leidenschaft: very nice. Not entirely on topic, but I love the color choices in your room. That blue compliments your brown (maroon?) bed sheeting quite well. The crisp black frame is also a nice touch. Well done.

@ Andrew: both of those look amazing. Would you mind elaborating on the custom framing kits you used, though? They've got to be cheaper than custom-framing, no doubt. I've ordered custom kits that you self-assemble in the past, but I can never find them for larger (30"+) prints.

Maybe we're talking about something entirely different. Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated. I have a few prints I'd like to get framed, but with Christmas right around the corner, I'm trying to save as much as possible.
November 17, 2010 01:24PM
Wholesaleposterframes.com

Oddly enough, the giant frame was only $6 more than the smaller frame. Guess having the same longest dimension had something to do with that. They were around $100 each + shipping. You get the frame pieces already cut to length, and a foamcore backing which is scored so it can be folded, and the acrylic rolled in a giant tube (it flattens right away, and retains none of the roll). Then you screw the corner hardware together for 3 sides, slide in the foam core, art, and acrylic, then put the bottom piece on. Add the included hanger and you are good to go. They also recommended buying a "frame strap" for larger frames in order to prevent the bottom from sagging over time. At $8 a frame strap, I felt ripped off, as it is just a plastic packing strap and some hardware, so ended up making something myself.
November 17, 2010 03:02PM
Man, who are these fuckfarts that buy prints for 40 dollars from here and then put em on ebay on buy out for 200. Like it isn't expensive enough to collect em lol.

@Derek: Thnx bro

@Andrew: is it easy to make em the right size? I'm not that good with a knife but custom frames always ruin my bank account.
November 19, 2010 09:23AM
Thanks for the info and link, Andrew. I'm going to look into that, for sure. I used a site pretty similar to that one [on a much smaller and less expensive print] and was pretty happy with the way they turned out. Obviously both pieces look great in your photos, but how content are you with the quality of the frames, themselves? Do the parts seem sturdy? How's the miter joint line up, all things considered? Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

Also: did you go with matting on either of those? That bit of white makes them look really crisp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 02:47PM by Derek-H.
November 19, 2010 11:26AM
You give them the measurements, and it's precise to the the 1/16th of an inch. Make sure you measure real well yourself, enter the dimensions on the webpage, and they make all the cuts for you (cut the frame, cut the backing, cut the lens covering). All you do is assemble. I've bought a custom metal frame from an art framer, and this is the exact same product, same hardware, that the professional framers use. The corner miters are pretty tight. The cuts are good, but you need to line them up yourself, so a small bit of care needs to go into that. My only concern is the lack of space between the print and the lens (acrylic covering). I image you could buy spacers elsewhere, or make spacers to give some separation from the print and lens (though the lens is flexible, so I'm not sure how that would work on the giant frame). Or get matting. My prints are unmatted, and the white boarder is just the paper. You can get custom matting online as well (or locally) and I'm not sure how much that would cost, but you could always slide that in your custom poster frame.
January 15, 2011 12:02AM
PFL, love the stuff in this thread! Will contribute too.
February 28, 2011 07:47PM
Got some stuff back from the framer this week.

let me know what you guys think.

J, bannon, No Heroes.

Greg Simkins, The Gauntlet.

J. Bannon, Infinite End.

J. Bannon, Pure Pain.

The last two I framed myself with something I sell at my job. It came out really cool. It has an industrial look to it that really fit the style of the prints. Was a real pain in the ass to do, but I think it came out great. I have to fix it a bit before I re-hang them. Those were my first 2 prints I ever bought.

Jonathan Koshi, Piggy's Sugar.

Just got this one. This will be the next one I frame. I had to buy it.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.
March 02, 2011 09:09PM
Holy shit inkblots, so jealous of the Pure Pain print. Did you buy it whan it came out? Cause I've been trying to find a pre owned one but no succes this far.

And does anyone have an idea where i might get some luck for a thomas hooper albatross? There never seems to be anything on ebay even.

-T
March 02, 2011 09:11PM
Care to explain how you made those frames? I keep looking at them trying to figure out what I'm seeing. Good job on that!
March 02, 2011 10:57PM
@Leidenschaft, yea i bought that when it was first out. I passed on the original Jane Doe and all the others for those two. As far as Thomas Hooper albatros, I have know clue. I only own the one Hooper print I have framed now. Keep checking ebay though.

@andrew, I used something called kindorf or unistrut. Plumbers and electricians use it to make chases and hang pipe and conduit in commercial buildings and applications. I can take a better picture of it for you (the sides) but it probably will still confuse you if your not familiar with it. Its made of steel and I used something called angle knee brackets to join all the corners together. Was a total pain in the ass and I dont recommend doing it, but it was fun to try it and it works. And they are really heavy.

March 02, 2011 11:05PM
Ah, thanks for the info. Pretty cool. I know what unistrut is, I'm a maintenance guy.
March 03, 2011 10:02AM
Nice. Blue collar life!

January 06, 2012 07:32PM
Finally got my No Heroes set framed. Excited to finally have this framed and hanging, one of my favorite pieces.

January 07, 2012 04:56PM
i need one of those poseidon prints

www.1000knives.com
twitter.com/rich_hall
twitter.com/1000knivesinc.com
July 31, 2013 02:22PM
Anyone selling any prints?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login