Re: Bannon - Poseidon / Framed Art thread
January 18, 2010 09:25PM
shit I didn't know there was an into oblivion print! I want that shit!
January 22, 2010 09:37PM
Has anyone framed their Axe to Fall yet? I just put my blue one in the shop today. It was the first time I've had it out of the tube and was AMAZED. I didn't realize how many variations were in the print. This one's truly over the top and visually stunning.
January 22, 2010 11:16PM
I plan on taking it to get framed tomorrow, it is over the top and truly awesome.
January 27, 2010 12:08PM
That Poseidon is nice, I just got a Hephaestus and can't wait to get it framed.
Mind if I ask you around how much it cost you to frame that beast?
January 27, 2010 12:35PM
January 27, 2010 01:17PM
love how you framed up that gold winterhearts. real nice.
January 27, 2010 02:53PM
Gracias mattisr1984.

This is the first one I ever framed. I didn't get the glare free glass so it was hard to get a good photo. Fractures A/P
January 27, 2010 10:15PM
that winter hearts is sick! how did you have that matted? is it a wood grain pattern under it?
January 28, 2010 12:09AM
Thanks. The bottom matte is black that looks like it was brushed with a gold paint brush. Then the top matte is obviously just black with spacers in between the mattes to give it some extra depth. I also splurged and got the no glare UV glass which is definitely worth it if you can get it.
January 28, 2010 12:15AM
P.S. the Fractures is up in the bedroom and the gf was stoked to find a matching paint color for the walls.
February 06, 2010 05:57PM
not the best pic but for whoever asked for a pic of axe to fall framed w/ out a matte. basic black frame from americanframe.com w/ spacers to keep the print off the plexi...

February 06, 2010 06:38PM
Someone at VC posted photos of an Axe to Fall print matted (and it's bigger than his 42" TV). Check it out here. I think I like your unmatted better. Maybe a different color mat would have looked better to me, but still, I think larger prints look better unmatted. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the americanframe.com?
February 06, 2010 07:25PM
including shipping, it was about a $100 for the frame, plexi, and acid-free backing. the spacers, which i got locally, were about 10 bucks. so $110 bucks altogether.

overall, im extremely happy with how it came out. im not a big fan of the super fancy framing that some people do -- double-mattes and what not. i like to keep it simple - black frame, white or black mattes or spacers, and let the art speak for itself. this piece looks massive when framed even without all that stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 07:31PM by mattisr1984.
February 06, 2010 10:44PM
How's the quality of those frames from americanframe? I've been wanting to order some stuff from there for a while but I recently heard they're not very good.
February 07, 2010 12:10AM
ive ordered 10+ frames from them and they've all been fine. a couple of the ones that were really large, i went and got these braces for each corner for like a $2 from home depot and it really sturdied them up. so i guess my only complaint i could level is that for really large wood frames, they felt a tad bit wobbly but it can be easily taken care of.
February 07, 2010 02:02PM
I like the unmatted one a lot. I'm glad you went with the thicker frame though. I can't stand when people don't get a thick enough frame with a large unmatted print.

I'm a big fan of double matting (unlike some people apparently haha). You have to be careful though and make sure you get the right colors to offset the image nicely. I like to go with black usually and then a different color underneath. You also have to be careful to not get a matte that's too thick for a large print. Here's my Axe to Fall I just got back yesterday...

\

This print is amazing (in case you haven't seen one in person). I did notice when getting it framed though that it wasn't screened perfectly square. It frames out well though. Most people would only notice if I told them but I noticed it. It's still a great print and I'm very happy with how this turned out.
February 07, 2010 02:47PM
dont get me wrong -- some double mattes look nice. i like what you did with yours. i think what kills the appeal for me is when people go overboard with it. ex. if you would have put a gold matte underneath and a blue one on top or something. if it draws your eye away from the piece itself, then its no good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 02:48PM by mattisr1984.
DK
February 07, 2010 02:52PM
Flat black frame & matte always looks sharp.
February 09, 2010 09:07PM
Got mine back today, it is beautiful, no matte with spacers.
February 10, 2010 02:17PM
That does look great. You signature and number are on the opposite side as mine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login