under rated bands
January 08, 2010 08:00PM
i have been glued to my desk as of late. working furiously on shows and trying to curb habits due to a past stint in the hospital. So with this new found time i have been going back down memory lane. i have been thinking about the past. how good music was, the shows, the imagination my friends had when they were playing music. this is a time and a sound i forgot and is coming back slowly in this here underground scene. this is what i am digging on. i sincerely do say go check these bands out if you don't know them in turn please share what you 've been digging your shelves and mp3 player to listen again.

lickgoldensky -"s/t" -This Philadelphia band that has now a member of gods and queens in it and one of the most strangest vocalist you'll ever meet.they played with soilent green on a tour and alienated 400 fans by showing the then-slight minded metal community a thing or 2. this is a definitely a quality release that never got the proper tour as they broke up after the cd came out.and awesome packaging by ryan patterson to boot.think rollins band joined talking heads.

knut.-"Bastardiser/Challenger"- i always trusted any country overseas for great bands. this is one of them. this band blew my mind and along with the whole snuff records roster. but these guys stood out . finally when "Bastardiser" got re-released by HH in 1999-2001 i listened to this band non stop.I wished and wished they would come to the U.S. and they did!I was lucky enough to book them at cbgb in 2001 while they were on tour with Isis. they really killed it . too bad no one really cared for them.

Gospel " the moon is a dead planet" thank god this band is reforming. i always dug this band and what they did live. the split with kodan armada was just a precursor to their progression on TMIADP. their style was really different than what long island/brooklyn was producing at the time. the music may trail on into free form acid jazz at some times. but it makes you follow along. but the songs are structured then you think. they will hopefully have a new release in 2010

Premonitions of War " Left in Kowloon" . even though graced by a bulldog on the back of their cd. this band was really ahead of their times with their brand of metal. neurosis meets his hero of gone/from ashes rise The sing totally had. one of the best metal voices out there along with Mike Fisketti formerly of Martyr AD. punishing and relentless attack of sonic punishment. i heard the did a reunion show recently.
Re: under rated bands
January 08, 2010 09:06PM
I have those POW and LGS records. heres mine, and yes I suck at descriptions:

COUNTERVAIL - crushing west coast metallic hardcore, more of a borderline melodic disembodied would be the best way to describe the earlier stuff they did (empty hand for a heart ep and most abused word lp). got to see them w/ bane and azazel almost 10 years go in winston salem. the later stuff was more "rock" oriented, but was nothing compared to those two releases

LOFTUS - Hugs and Drugs - think CUAD meets Taken w/ a few sludgy parts, but not over done, also from the west coast. they did a 7", but it was nothing compared to the full length, and unfortunately the singer died before they could do another record, and I think the singer on the 7" might have been a different one.

Barrit - smiles upon the strokes that murder me - this was the very very very very best metalcore I had heard at the time, years ahead of its peers...I got this at the same show I saw bane and countervail. I believe, if I remember correctly, this band had members of bane and cave in @ one time or another.

The Judas Factor - one of my all time favorite bands on revelation records (farside and end of a year being a few others), rob (from 108) started this band and I would not have heard of them had a split w/ milhouse (?) not been anounced but never completed (?) that was supposed to be released on exit/wreckage records. Ballads in Blue China was such a great full length, but this was such a seriously depressing, melodic, metallic hardcore record...the follow up Kiss Suicide was equally impressive. Truly enjoyed this band.

Farside - The Monroe Doctrine - closest revelation records came to having an aggressive "alt-rock" band. they never fit a mold, they werent hardcore, they werent post hardcore, they werent alt-rock, they were just farside and what they did was great. do yourself a favor and pick this up.
January 08, 2010 09:56PM
Poison The Well, it's like everyone forgot they existed after they stopped making music that everyone else stole from them and drove into the mud. 'Tropic Rot' is better than 99% of hardcore out there. A Ballou recorded PTW record is like a wet dream to me, I hope it is so in the future.
January 09, 2010 10:36AM
threexs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Poison The Well, it's like everyone forgot they
> existed after they stopped making music that
> everyone else stole from them and drove into the
> mud. 'Tropic Rot' is better than 99% of hardcore
> out there. A Ballou recorded PTW record is like a
> wet dream to me, I hope it is so in the future.

poison the well never cease to impress great dudes and amazing albums ,i too hope kurt records them even if its just for a seven inch shit would be so dope to hear
January 09, 2010 04:47PM
Gospel is reforming?!? This is fantastic news The Moon... is easily one of the best records of the 2000's.
Not an underrated band by ANY means but it would be rad to hear new Circle Takes The Square in 2010, more so for curiosities sake than anything else at this point. I've been listening to the CTTS Pg.99 split a lot these days.
January 10, 2010 10:36AM
I know we had a pretty hefty thread last Winter on this subject and I still have to say that Amphetamine Reptile acts never got their due.

Hammerhead
Cows
U-Men
Guzzard

Even the Jesus Lizard got robbed of the spotlight and never really took momentum.

Too bad the lukewarm haze of grunge overshadowed this vein of the underground.

[www.room111photography.com]
January 10, 2010 12:15PM
Burial Year(RIP) out of SF. If you ever have a chance check out the Pestilence full length. SOOOO brutal. It's ten songs of non stop technical metal that's recorded in a punk aesthetic. I'm not sure what genre's you'd put it in because I've never gave a shit about that, but you might say it has a great mix of grind, hardcore, plus the occasional punk and math. They also have a pretty good split with Zann. Check them out.
January 10, 2010 05:31PM
oathbreaker (BE): female fronted band from belgium, think rise and fall, disfear etc. It appears that a lot of belgian kids can't realize that this is one of the hardest bands in europe. what do american kids think?

[www.myspace.com]
January 10, 2010 07:21PM
b_pizzle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Burial Year(RIP) out of SF. If you ever have a
> chance check out the Pestilence full length. SOOOO
> brutal. It's ten songs of non stop technical
> metal that's recorded in a punk aesthetic. I'm
> not sure what genre's you'd put it in because I've
> never gave a shit about that, but you might say it
> has a great mix of grind, hardcore, plus the
> occasional punk and math. They also have a pretty
> good split with Zann. Check them out.

I fully back this. the split is on Adagio830 records (home of trainwreck, perth express, zann, fire team charlie, etc), and they had a tour ep which I THINK is still available at robotic empire.
January 10, 2010 09:52PM
I've seen Poison the Well move from the biggest theatres in town to smaller clubs. Then back to the theatres with a package tour and only to see its capacity filled by a third. They just aren't brootal enough for the kids of today, but they still play with integrity.
January 10, 2010 10:31PM
The last really fun show I went to was Poison The Well in 2006.
January 11, 2010 01:04PM
the minor times - still baffles me why they never got bigger. they had charisma, great songs, and a more than impressive stage show

achilles - see above

handsome - members of helmet, quicksand, enemy, etc.
January 12, 2010 10:01PM
FAll SILENT.
January 13, 2010 12:28AM
A Lot Like Birds, no joke probably the best thing happening for sacramento. other than that id have to agree with Poison The Well
January 13, 2010 11:09AM
came into this thread expecting to see some over rated bands. however found exactly what deserves to be in here. Knut, Gospel & Lickgoldensky are all excellent bands.

now, some under rated bands:
Suffocate For Fuck Sake
Greymachine
Dial

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 11:10AM by Marms.
January 13, 2010 02:07PM
I designed Knut "Bastardizer" way back when, great band.
Converge took Gospel out on tour for a bit in the US around 2004 (I think). Also great band.

Other bands to mention:

Jesus Eater.
God Below.
Nine.
Breach.

-J.

January 13, 2010 03:44PM
Breach are great.

edit: Breach were great. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 03:45PM by Marms.
January 13, 2010 06:02PM
the Ramparts - Whiteboys Love The Blues. Best NorCal 7" of the last 5 years or so... Difficult to really describe those 4 songs but here it goes:
sounds very My War-era Black Flag... Imagine a modern-day Black Flag from SF instead of LA recording some songs for the My War record.
The musicianship, perfect production with just the right dosage of voice, bass, drums and guitar and the ingenious lyrics by Sammy Winston. As plans are made for new Ceremony record(s) & new straight edge band by Anthony Anzaldo, I imagine no new material will be released... Bummer.
January 13, 2010 06:09PM
jake, if you want i got two new gospel songs for you...
January 13, 2010 07:46PM
Gospel and Knut are amazing!!! I also think Logh, Callisto, Antler and Scissorfight are underated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login