Your Pick: Swedish Death Metal or American Death Metal?
January 06, 2010 10:08AM
I'm not trying to limit the areas that Death Metal spews from which is world wide of course, nor am I setting up a Vs mode here, but I was plowing through some classic Swedish DM and American DM acts, both have their unique signatures and was wondering if anyone here has a preference?

Currently Rocking: Autopsy - Severed Survival

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 10:09AM by GrindCynic.
Re: Your Pick: Swedish Death Metal or American Death Metal?
January 06, 2010 12:52PM
American, For sure. Cant go wrong with Suffocation, Devourment, Internal Bleeding and stuff like that. Swedish and even most European death metal is just too theatrical for me. I hate studded arm bands and make up. Although King Diamond was the shit back in the day.
January 06, 2010 02:54PM
Jebus. Cause of Death is a classic but my preference goes out to everything Swedish related, especially bands like Nihilist, Entombed, Dismember & Unleashed. I miss that edge in American death metal, plus the production on the Swedish is way harder. Thank you Sunlight Studios.
January 06, 2010 03:42PM
Taking both opinions above into account, I can say that America has definitely produced the more 'brutal' side death metal, lyrically and sonically, where as Sweden has produced the more melodious types, Opeth, In Flames (Jester Race era), At The Gates etc. Bands mentioned in both posts are excellent examples of fine Death Metal, technically proficient and overall great songwriting, especially Internal Bleeding who managed to be catchy while also being very skilled, that stuff is definitely not as easy as it sounds.
January 06, 2010 06:39PM
Internal Bleed were gods of death metal in the late 90s and even in the early 2000s. There last album was pretty heavy but still lost some edge that xcruchesx is talking about. still a great album.

But Origin. God damn, Origin is the heaviest of heavy and completely technical. You cant get more insane then that shit.
January 06, 2010 09:46PM
I think old Swedish Death Metal is better than US Death Metal.
January 07, 2010 01:00AM
xcruchesx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> miss that edge in
> American death metal, plus the production on the
> Swedish is way harder.

Death is the only band that makes this decision tough. With a gun to my head, the Swedes.
January 07, 2010 12:12PM
But if your talking death metal, you have to have the BRUTALITY. forget the production. its the BRUTALITY
January 07, 2010 02:52PM
the production adds to the brutality. i still like to beat my head against the wall more when i'm listening to a old Swedish death metal record (say Clandestine) than to American death metal (with the exception of Seven Churches, Leprosy & Cause of Death = classics for every aggressive music listener)
January 07, 2010 06:10PM
swedish. end of.
January 07, 2010 06:17PM
BUT THE BRUTALITY!!!!

BROOOOOTALL!!!!
January 11, 2010 03:54AM
American Death Metal has Death which makes it automatically better, although I would say current Euros in general have better underground death metal curently imo like Necros Christos, Graveyard and Obliteration. 90's American death metal blows the Swedes out of the water because bands like Immolation, Incantation, Morbid Angel, Deicide pretty much put out punishing record after punishing record where alot of the swedes over diluted their music with too much melody.And alot of the better swedish bands that have kept putting out good records then to sound like Florida bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 03:58AM by BrokenXBrokenHip.
January 13, 2010 03:35PM
Sweden has Entombed so I gotta go with them. Sweden for Death, America for Thrash.
January 14, 2010 09:59AM
I'm going to say American, mainly due to the sentimental value albums like 'Slowly We Rot', 'Deicide' / 'Amon' / 'Legion', 'Butchered At Birth' / 'Tomb Of The Mutilated' and 'Effigy Of The Forgotten' / 'Breeding The Spawn' hold in my up-bringing. I was 11 / 12 years old when I started listening to Death Metal so obviously, my choices weren't the most underground however, I had a rad instructor that helped guide me.

One of my favorite newer American Death Metal bands atm is Funebrarum, definitely.
January 14, 2010 11:02AM
andy Wrote:
> I'm going to say American, mainly due to the
> sentimental value albums like 'Slowly We Rot',
> 'Deicide' / 'Amon' / 'Legion', 'Butchered At
> Birth' / 'Tomb Of The Mutilated' and 'Effigy Of
> The Forgotten' / 'Breeding The Spawn' hold in my
> up-bringing. I was 11 / 12 years old when I
> started listening to Death Metal so obviously, my
> choices weren't the most underground however, I
> had a rad instructor that helped guide me.
>
> One of my favorite newer American Death Metal
> bands atm is Funebrarum, definitely.

I hear ya man, but we all have to start somewhere.

I'm gonna check out the Funebrarum album, I've been hearing about it hear and there.
January 14, 2010 01:26PM
this thread is fucking ridiculous. most of the people's interpretation of swedish death is at the gates, in flames or that "European death metal is just too theatrical for me. I hate studded arm bands and make up". what? what Swedish band besides Amon Amarth doing the viking theme looks like this? I feel like a lot of people in here have probably never listened to Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Deranged, etc. Ithe comparison of the Florida and NY scenes to Sweden is ridiculous, they have a completely different sound altogether and it's like asking what's better san francisco or new york, ridiculous argument. The buzzsaw guitar tone of "Left Hand Path" is completely different than the powerful production of "Serpents of the Light" or "Cause of Death". And if we're talking technically, Immolation and Origin are gods of this genre agreed. But so is Spawn of Possession from Kalmar, Sweden. Off timing, quick time signature changes, and incredible picking, sweeping, and drum patterns. all in all, if you're picking just one side in this thread then you probably don't listen to enough metal.
January 14, 2010 04:51PM
harkonnen Wrote:
> this thread is fucking ridiculous. most of the
> people's interpretation of swedish death is at the
> gates, in flames or that "European death metal is
> just too theatrical for me. I hate studded arm
> bands and make up". what? what Swedish band
> besides Amon Amarth doing the viking theme looks
> like this? I feel like a lot of people in here
> have probably never listened to Entombed,
> Dismember, Grave, Deranged, etc. Ithe comparison
> of the Florida and NY scenes to Sweden is
> ridiculous, they have a completely different sound
> altogether and it's like asking what's better san
> francisco or new york, ridiculous argument. The
> buzzsaw guitar tone of "Left Hand Path" is
> completely different than the powerful production
> of "Serpents of the Light" or "Cause of Death".
> And if we're talking technically, Immolation and
> Origin are gods of this genre agreed. But so is
> Spawn of Possession from Kalmar, Sweden. Off
> timing, quick time signature changes, and
> incredible picking, sweeping, and drum patterns.
> all in all, if you're picking just one side in
> this thread then you probably don't listen to
> enough metal.

The thread is quite fun. You seem to be into it too.
January 14, 2010 06:19PM
I still dont like the theatrics. lol. and your right. I have a VERY one sided opinion to death metal. I would probably be pleasantly surprised my most swedish death metal but I just wont, for some reason, give it a chance.

I think its just cuz its European. Those guys are just weirdos.
January 14, 2010 08:34PM
inkblots Wrote:
> I still dont like the theatrics. lol. and your
> right. I have a VERY one sided opinion to death
> metal. I would probably be pleasantly surprised
> my most swedish death metal but I just wont, for
> some reason, give it a chance.
>
> I think its just cuz its European. Those guys are
> just weirdos.

Well what metal ARE you listening to that's European? I could give some recommendations off of that.
January 14, 2010 10:53PM
absolutely none.

ive been stuck on origin, despised icon, black dahlia, vital remains, accacia strain, cryptopsy, etc.

shoot some recommendations my way. ive been lookin for some new music anyways.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login