Home > Deathtalk > Topic > Page 2
Re: Your Pick: Swedish Death Metal or American Death Metal?
January 15, 2010 09:22AM
inkblots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> absolutely none.
>
> ive been stuck on origin, despised icon, black
> dahlia, vital remains, accacia strain, cryptopsy,
> etc.
>
> shoot some recommendations my way. ive been
> lookin for some new music anyways.

Oh man, almost half of what you mentioned isn't even Death metal Ink, especially not Acacia Strain, they are just moshcore bullshit and Cryptopsy are dead now and I don't want to talk about it! sad smiley

In regards to Despised Icon, who have also lost their edge as far as song writing goes, their first full length Consumed By Your Poison is still fucking great. That chick was brutal.

I'll let Harkonnen handle the Euro bands for you as he is chomping at the bit to educate. In regards to the 'theatrics' of Euro acts, I don't think that's a factor as only a few bands really incorporated that. Euro DM definitely incorporates a folky influence at times but nothing as corny as say Power Metal acts do.
January 15, 2010 12:04PM
yea I was half asleep when I posted that. Accacia aint too bad. I consider it death metal tho. there are too many sub genres for me to even care about.
January 15, 2010 12:29PM
no offense here, but a folky influence?!

Personally, the only European Death Metal that's really worth checking out (I'm not a big fan of modern-day (Euro) Death Metal) is Nihilist, Entombed, Dismember & Unleashed. Basically anything Swedish recorded at the Sunlight Studios. I love that clean yet crisp sound. Musical taste is something different for each person "Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" (Sue me for living in a partially french speaking country) and the only thing you can do is check some bands out, from any side of the spectrum and make up your own mind.

oh and inkblots: I'm proud to be a weirdo.

edit: Worth checking out is the CBR compilation Projections of a Stained Mind. It's a pretty diverse compilation with even some Norse black metal songs.

Tracklist:
01. ENTOMBED - Forsaken (different version as on "Clandestine"winking smiley
02. MAYHEM - Carnage
03. GROTESQUE - Spawn Of Azathoth (from "Incanation" MLP)
04. THERION - Future Conscience (later on "Beyond Sanctorum" as "Future Consciousness"winking smiley
05. HOUSE OF USHER - Battle Of Spectrum (unreleased track)
06. MERCILESS - Nuclear Attack (later on "Unbound"winking smiley
07. UNLEASHED - The Dark One
08. NIRVANA 2002 - Mourning (unreleased track; recorded 13. April 1990 at Sunlight studio)
09. CHRONIC DECAY - 1:st Of September (from "Ecstasy In Pain" 7"winking smiley
10. DISMEMBER - Sickening Art
*11. MAYHEM - Freezing Moon
*12. MERCILESS - The Book Of Lies (later on "The Treasures Within"winking smiley
*13. MACRODEX - Cremation (unreleased track)
*14. TRAUMATIC - A Putrid Reek Of Mangled Remains (from "The Process Of Raping..." demo)
*15. TIAMAT - Ancient Entity
16. SKULL - On A Mission In Blood
(* = CD bonustracks)
(credit to carnagedeathmetal.de)

It's mostly demosongs & b-sides but most of time those were even more raw than official releases. It's the same with the Nihilist demo compilation, those songs that eventually became Entombed songs are even harder on that compilation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 12:55PM by xcruchesx.
January 15, 2010 06:44PM
Swedes. AT THE GATES.
January 15, 2010 08:52PM
hey xcruchesx the "weirdos" thing was tongue in cheek. another attempt at a bad joke.

no offense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login