Home > Deathtalk > Topic
the popularity of using Roman numerals...?
June 01, 2013 04:02AM
...in the music/punk/hardcore subculture/whatevs. I have noticed more use of the Roman numerals used in show flyers, websites, descriptions, press, etc. I wonder why? Is it a stylistic choice that happens to be popular or is there something else behind it?
Re: the popularity of using Roman numerals...?
June 03, 2013 04:02PM
People emulate things.
We were doing it for a number of years and stopped as soon as it seemed to spread everywhere.
Thanks.

June 06, 2013 09:22AM
The use of roman numerals isn't only in punk but popular culture as well. You see plenty of films, books and video games that use them to denounce sequels or parts in a series.

Some instances when making a lists the numbered sections use numbers and the subsections use roman numerals, this is about the only functional use of them I can really think of.

[www.deadformat.net]
October 17, 2013 07:23AM
ok, I see, thanks for the replies. I know its used elsewhere, I think it makes sense actually to my mind I think the system is more functional than numbers.

Now riddle me this one? What is the deal with the fascination and interest in alchemical symbols, and also runic symbols? I mean is there an interest beyond it as art? Is there a cultural occurance and interest that accompanies the interest in the symmbology? Or is it stictly an interest in symbology as an aesthetic?
I feel old and out of touch.
October 21, 2013 06:10AM
Lost-Among-The-Lost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Now riddle me this one? What is the deal with the
> fascination and interest in alchemical symbols,
> and also runic symbols? I mean is there an
> interest beyond it as art? Is there a cultural
> occurance and interest that accompanies the
> interest in the symmbology? Or is it stictly an
> interest in symbology as an aesthetic?

My guess is that it's mostly just for the aesthetic, and if you're looking for people who are really into the meaning behind it, you might have to look outside of hc/punk, I don't know, maybe goth, folk metal, that kind of thing.
October 22, 2013 10:37AM
Lost-Among-The-Lost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok, I see, thanks for the replies. I know its
> used elsewhere, I think it makes sense actually to
> my mind I think the system is more functional than
> numbers.
>
> Now riddle me this one? What is the deal with the
> fascination and interest in alchemical symbols,
> and also runic symbols? I mean is there an
> interest beyond it as art? Is there a cultural
> occurance and interest that accompanies the
> interest in the symmbology? Or is it stictly an
> interest in symbology as an aesthetic?
> I feel old and out of touch.

Depends on the band.

Rise And Fall, for example titled their most recent album "Faith". Conceptually the album tackled a number of subjects, with one of them being how people perceive an interpret ideas of Faith and belief. They chose to relate that to a Pagan ethos relating to nature; Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Essentially rejecting contemporary belief systems in the process.

The world of modern paganism is fragmented, and open for interpretation by anyone who chooses to research it. It's not a new thing in the world of Punk/Hardcore though. Bands like Amebix and Neurosis have explored it for decades.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login